Thursday, May 31, 2012

My Summer Reading List

Summer reading lists have been popping up all over the internet; everyone seems to have an opinion about what we should be reading at the beach, in our hammocks, or in our lawn chairs this summer. And I have noticed that these lists really don't differ from each other very much. It seems the same handful of books seem to be hogging up everybody's imagination. And so I thought I'd make my own reading list...with a few of these favorites and few of my own. I have actually done this for years...since I was just a little girl. The beginning of summer has always signaled to me the beginning of long book-filled days. I distinctly remember the sense of wonder and excitement at getting the summer reading lists from school and then searching the shelves of the basement children's room at the library to find them.

And so, for what it's worth, here is what I will be reading and why:

Beautiful Ruins
Set in 1962 and the current day in Italy and Hollywood. How can I resist?

Gone Girl
Choosing to believe the hype.

The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving











Road trip novel. And look at that cover!!
The Starboard Sea: A Novel

Rich waspy kids in the late 80s.

 Where the Line Bleeds
This is the first novel written by the author of Salvage the Bones, my favorite book of the past year.

The Great Northern Express: A Writer's Journey Home
Howard is a family friend and always, always good for an engaging read.

Carry the One
I've had this one on hold at the library for months, and it finally came in. It's been so long I can't even remember what it's about.

Autobiography of a Face
I just finished Truth and Beauty by Ann Patchett about her friendship with this fellow writer, Lucy Grealy.

A Good Hard Look: A Novel
A fictional account of Flannery OConnor's life after leaving New York to live in her hometown in Georgia.

The Sand Castle (Runnymede, #4)
This was accidentally shelved with the Judy Blume books in the kids' section at the library...I can only assume I was meant to find it.


I should also add 1Q84 to my list, because I promised my friend, Tricia, I'd try...what's another 946 pages?

No comments: