Thursday, March 16, 2006

The Longing Itself

So we went to a Wizard's game last night with people from P's work. Our seats were incredible...center court only about seven rows from the floor. It was fun; the Wizards won. But of course I can never enjoy an experience just for what it is, but find myself consumed by all of its underlying implications. So, the whole time I should have been drinking beer and cheering, I just kept thinking about how great it must be to be an NBA basketball player. You train, you play. You either win or lose. And you get paid. A lot. The results of your work are tangible, immediate. I think there's a part of me that longs for that. But then again, I remember somebody talking about desire once in a Philosophy class I took at UVM. How desire is what we really want. It's not the object of our desire at all, but the longing itself. What would I really do if my books were suddenly in every airport newstand? Probably start writing the next one, I guess.

Today I am going to dive back into the book...head first and flippers flipping.

No comments: