Monday, February 27, 2006

Through the Looking Glass

So I had the nicest grown-up Sunday...Patrick watched the girls, and I spent hours wandering around Politics and Prose, looking for something to buy with my gift certificate. I wound up with a beautiful art book of Lewis Carroll's photographs and Atonement by Ian McEwan. I'm obsessing lately over Carroll's sepia colored photos of children. I think the secret to my next novel is somewhere inside that book. I was missing my grandfather the whole time. When I was little we took field trips to book stores where we spent hours and hours. Afterwards, I went to Trader Joes and got some nice cheese and then I made the most incredible soft black bean and chicken tostadas for dinner. Ifell into this blissful sleep until 4:00 this morning, when there was some weird scuffle on our street...teenagers yelling at each other, a car parked in front of our house. I think it was the girl who lives next door and her friends, and I can't quite figure out where her parents were. The cops finally came, and they were chuckling after speaking to the kids, so it was probably something ridiculous. It's scary though...a teenaged boy here was just killed by a cop the other day after he and his friends left an IHOP without paying their tab. The head of my bed is right by a window, and I always have this irrational fear that a stray bullet is going to get me while I'm sleeping. I know, I'm such a country mouse.

So, today has potential to be either terrible or wonderful (or just another excruciating day of waiting). I dreamed the other night that I had called Christy (my old agent) to tell her that I had found someone new to represent the book.

No comments: